My Prayers are with everyone one associated with this horrible catastrophe.
[before & after of Haiti's Presidental Dome]
A major earthquake struck southern Haiti on Tuesday, knocking down buildings and power lines and inflicting what its ambassador to the United States called a catastrophe for the Western Hemisphere's poorest nation.
The magnitude 7.0 quake -- the most powerful to hit Haiti in a century -- struck shortly before 5 p.m. and was centered about 10 miles (15 kilometers) southwest of Port-au-Prince, the U.S. Geological Survey reported. It could be felt strongly in eastern Cuba, more than 200 miles away, witnesses said. -CNN.com
You can donate to these groups:
- Text Yele. -- Wyclef Jean is urging donors to text 'Yele' to 501501 and make a $5 contribution to the relief effort over cell phone.
- Save the Children. -- Donate at savethechildren.org
- UNICEF. -- Go online to unicefusa.org/haitiquake or call (800) 4UNICEF.
- Red Cross. -- Go online to redcross.org and click Donate, or call (800) REDCROSS.
- Direct Relief International. -- Donate online at directrelief.org.