January 18, 2010

Dearest Martin Luther King, Jr.,

Dearest Martin Luther King, Jr.,

Today is the day we honor/celebrate your legacy.



When I was younger, I remember learning a part of your infamous, "I Have A Dream" speech. "I have a dream...that one day, my children will not by judged by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character.." & adhering to that dream since. I have never judged anyone by the color of their skin...but I have judged everyone by their character & values.

Now that I am older [& w/ modern day technology] I have been able to read the transcript of your speech. As I did so, the paragraph below stood out to me.

"We must forever conduct our struggle on the high plane of dignity and discipline. We must not allow our creative protest to degenerate into physical violence. Again and again we must rise to the majestic heights of meeting physical force with soul force. The marvelous new militancy which has engulfed the Negro community must not lead us to distrust of all white people, for many of our white brothers, as evidenced by their presence here today, have come to realize that their destiny is tied up with our destiny and their freedom is inextricably bound to our freedom. We cannot walk alone.

In tribute of you, I have a video that I saw on MTVJams today.


[Shout out to Whitney Houston, El Debarge, Fat Boys, LisaLisa, Menudo, Kurtis Blow, Run DMC]

1 comment:

Tresey B. (= said...

aWww, this made me tear up a bit. If only he had lived to see today. R.I.P MLK. Your legacy will forever live on.